Health

Back to Basics: The Truth about Black Mold

Black Mold InfestationMold is a serious problem. But when people talk about black mold, the issue becomes more sinister and dangerous. In fact, residents in Utah usually associate the word “toxic” with it. Many people aren’t familiar with its impact, though. Even with lots of stories and discussions in the news, people still ask: how dangerous is it?

Demystifying Black Mold

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the label “toxic mold” attached to black mold isn’t entirely accurate. Some do produce toxins, but the molds themselves aren’t toxic. More importantly, there are very few reports that these toxin-producing molds cause serious health conditions.

Additionally, you won’t be able to tell just by the color of the mold if it’s dangerous or not. That’s why CDC tells the public that the risks associated with toxin-producing molds should be considered for all other common molds that grow in the house.

In other words, you have to treat all molds as potentially dangerous. It doesn’t matter which type of mold you have. Certified Disaster Services, a mold remediation company in Ogden, recommends immediate action. After all, specialists will help you not just get rid of these problems, but also find the source of moisture that produces a conducive environment for their growth.

More about Black Mold

The greenish-black mold you see in your house is known as Stachybotrys chartarum. It’s less common than other species, but it frequently grows on fiberboards, lint, dust, and gypsum boards. Moisture from water damage enables them to grow. So, if you have parts of the house that are leaky, humid, or flooded, it’s likely that mold can grow there.

Over time, these molds can affect indoor air quality. As some black molds produce toxins, they can cause health problems, such as irritation of the eyes and nose, coughing, wheezing, and itchy skin.

The bottom line is that mold problem is a serious problem. Regardless of the type (and color), they should be removed immediately. Call a professional as soon as possible to keep your home and family safe.